Tuesday, January 29, 2008

3,287

That is how many days I have lived since I surrendered. 3,287 days have come and gone without me choosing to take a drink or to put any other drug in my body. 3,287 days of working towards becoming the woman I am today.

3,287 days ago I was a girl who was desperate for something different, something better. I was a girl who didn't consider how my actions affected others. I was a mess. But a higher power was waiting for me. He showed up in the form of a woman, who had been sober for 25 years. She was sitting in a little room of a church in Okemos, Michigan. She told a story-her story, my story.

On January 28, 1999 I made a decision that I wanted my story to have a happy ending like hers did. 9 years later I have no idea what the ending will be, but I know the middle and it is so much better than I would have hoped for!

3,287 days later I am free, I am imperfect and so okay with that. I love my family, I have real friends, I live on 2 continents and am content on either. I have met my educational goals, and I am no longer afraid to set goals that require hard work.

I am me. Just me. 3,287 days outside of the realization that on my own I was going to be in trouble. I am no longer on my own. That is the story of my success.

1 comment:

Moni said...

You go girl!!! Fantastic! Happy birthday tooooooo youuuuuuu!!!! and mannnnnnny moreeeeeeee!!! :-)
Your sister in Christ and sobriety.