Monday, October 5, 2015

Trevor Noah saved my marriage!

Ok you guys,

I am posting this clip because it makes me laugh-- and after my heavy heart yesterday, I need to laugh.

Trevor Noah is one of my favorite comedians.  His humor has been really important in my relationship with my husband, Nyasha because it is something we can BOTH relate to.  That is so hard for us to find.  We are total opposites in every way, especially in our sense of humor!  He likes Mr. Bean, I like Will Ferrell. Add all of our opposites to our massive cultural differences and it's hard to find something that makes us both laugh.  Trevor Noah is our solution!

(Can I take a minute for a side bar here?? For a long time I felt like this totally discredited the life I am living, trying to love Jesus.  Once, in 2008 I think, I went to visit my friend Lori in Australia after a long hard year in Zimbabwe.  My first day there I met her after work and I was sitting in the sun reading celebrity gossip mags and drinking from a starbucks cup.  She just wouldn't let me live it down-- I had ignored all the beauty of Sydney for these two silly indulgences-- but let me tell you, these things are my little luxuries:  I like to know what's going on in pop culture and I find people like Will Ferrell to be absolute heroes in my life.  People who can take the saddest of days and make me cry with laughter.  Thank you Vince Vaughn, Kevin Hart, Melissa McCarthy and Zack Galifianakis you bring me such joy!!  Recently I read these words by Jen Hatmaker, in her book For the Love and I have felt SO MUCH FREEDOM!
Do you know what else? I thought humor was one of my throwaway qualities forever. Surely that had no place in Jesus Work. Frankly, I considered it a liability – as if I should overcome it and get serious, for the love. (What kind of a Bible teacher loves Will Ferrell?) I figured I should manage the important stuff and ratchet down the humor, because I am a grown woman who works for Jesus. But guess what? God created an entire package. It all counts. There are no throwaway qualities. In fact, those qualities might point you in just the right direction. Nothing is wasted: not a characteristic, preference, experience, tragedy, quirk, nothing. It is all you and it is all purposed and it can all be used for great and glorious good.
Thank you Jen Hatmaker for proving my husband wrong and for giving me permission to love what makes me laugh! WOW, that was a LONG side bar!


So, Nyasha doesn't like watching comedies with me because: 1. He thinks my fave movies are crude and offensive usually and 2. Because I laugh so loud that he can't even hear what is being said.

I will forgive him because both are probably true.  And he's a hottie so I can't stay made for long.
See what I mean? Total Hottie.


But Trevor Noah.  South African comedian extraordinaire-- we can agree on him! He makes us both laugh.  We have seen every stand up video, we have watched every clip.  It makes me so sad that we don't get Comedy Central to watch The Daily Show but we can find clips on youtube-- like this one.

I am not political, I don't really have a stance on American politics-- and I don't have any thoughts about Zimbabwean politics because I don't feel like I know enough to form an opinion... however I have a bold opinion about humor-- and this, my friends is funny no matter who you are going to vote for.

Well done to The Daily Show for giving Trevor Noah a chance and thank you Trevor Noah for giving my husband and I common ground to laugh together. 

I hope this clip makes you all laugh as well!

No comments: