Thursday, October 1, 2015

31 Days of My Real Zimbabwean Life

So I haven't been blogging.

No shocker there, I have so often left huge gaps in between posts.  I generally do not write when things are hard, when they are just not going the way I would want them to.  Sometimes I write in my journal during these times, but I would RARELY consider putting those thoughts out there.

Our little Vivienne is 8 months old.  She is a treasure: a tiny girl who brings such joy to our lives.  However, Vivienne exhausts me.  On the days that I work, she tends to want to wake up and play at THREE A.M.  I am not exaggerating, it is as if she is making up for lost play time from earlier in the day!  She exhausts me.   So does cooking, tidying the house, going to work, parenting Ruth (our 11 year old) taking care of Lucy (our hyper, needy 3 year old Jack Russel) and trying to be a wife to Nyasha and attempting to be present in our community.

These are all good, necessary things.  They just leave me feeling as if I hardly have a moment to get a breath in and when I have a precious moment to myself there is one thing I value above anything else: S.L.E.E.P.  Uninterrupted sleep is like my long lost love.

Before Vivienne was born, my best friend and I used to joke that in order for me to be friendly I needed to have a solid 10 hours of sleep.  We were kind of joking.  Ok, we were stating the cold, hard facts.  It has now been over a year since I have had 8 hours of sleep in a row.  Watch out people, things are getting ugly!  And by things I mean me-- and my words.  I am snippy and snarky and my poor husband is getting the brunt of it.

So,

Although I generally tend to hide my words from the world when things are not well.  I am challenging myself to write for the next 31 days in an attempt to not only better myself but to save my marriage.  Kidding, I don't think I am in danger of finding divorce papers on my dining table-- unless I keep trying to pass popcorn off as dinner.  Oh, that reminds me: I need to get to the grocery store (AKA the place that exhausts me the most.)

People, I love this man SO much.

Vivienne Mudiwa, the one responsible for my lack of sleep. Honestly who could be mad at that face?

Ruth the one who stole my heart and made me stay


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep writing and you will find some peace for yourself. Sleep needs change with time. Once I needed lots of sleep now I do well with 6 hours. Of course, I am older and my children are grown. God Bless. :)

Regina said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for the encouragement! These interrupted sleep seasons are rough, but so worth it :-)