Friday, October 2, 2015

Fridays


Fridays are for FUN


Friday morning we wake up with no strict, crazy, get ready for work schedule.  At 9:30 we join an amazing and diverse group of women and babies for play group (I won't lie, I worked hard and waited [sometimes] patiently to find this group.)


After play group I have a bit of free time-- today we went to the flea market to collect samples of beaded key rings we are hoping to use for fundraising for The Michael Project. And since we were at the flea market, Vivienne and I met up with my Zimbabwean BFF for lunch-- sadza and t-bone.  It was delicious, made more so by the conversation.  Di and I are intentional about our friendship.  We share the stuff that makes us laugh, cry and even cringe.  She is the sister of my heart.  I have a few of these friendships and people, can I say that these relationships are the diamonds of my life?  I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

After that I dropped Vivi at home with Gogo and went on to work for a bit.  I generally only have one session on a Friday, which I am grateful for! 
THEN IT HAPPENS.

My schedule clears and I take a deep breath.  What I have been waiting for all week has finally come.  I drive down the potholed streets of Marlborough (a suburb of Harare) and stop at the black gate that I have seen thousands of times.  When the gate opens and my girl runs out to me it is as if all is right with the world.  Our girl Ru doesn’t get to live with us full time yet.  We are working on that, but for right now we live life looking forward to the school holidays and the weekends as if they are Christmas!

Today we spent the car ride home sharing stories of school and work.  When we went through our highs and lows, we decided to count jacaranda trees on the way home because they are certainly a high for all of us this time of the year.

72 Jacarandas on the street that leads us home.

260 Weekends so far.



Fridays are the greatest and for our family, they have been for a very long time.  Fridays are for fun.  Fridays are for family.  And someday, for our family, Fridays will be forever.
Ruthie September 2011

Ruthie September 2015



No comments: