Friday, October 3, 2008

Wow, there is always so much to talk about when I get an internet connection!

It has been 20 days since I have been able to post a blog… how can I even begin to fill you all in.

20 days in a time when the countries surrounding mine are in turmoil, we have had the death of one president, the resignation of another, and in Zim… well who really knows what is going on here.

I left Harare on the 13th and flew to Johannesburg, South Africa. I was filled with excitement and hope because I was taking a holiday!! For a week I was going to travel South Africa with no plans until I had to meet up with Glen and Linda Megill in Durban for Pastor Chris’s ceremony.

In Joburg I stayed at a hostel with people from all over the world. I was with people from Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland and Australia! I immediately relaxed and decided to spend a day or so in town. I made my way to the apartheid museum and through Soweto. This museum is really something to see, but the history meant so much to me on this day. As I walked the halls of the museum and looked that the pictures of history in the making, I knew in my heart that history was being made back in Zim. I want to trust what is happening here, and I know that God has it in control, but I saw the brutality and the pain that was involved in the change in South Africa and I want something different for Zimbabwe.

As I finished the museum, I walked into the current events exhibit and nothing was there other than the headlines regarding Zimbabwe. SA’s president Thambo Mbeki was negotiating a treaty between Mugabe and Tsvangari. I couldn’t help but wonder if this is what the people of SA fought for… if the former leaders of SA would be disappointed in their president. I was disappointed in him, and my heart broke for the people of Zimbabwe. If SA

The next day I rented a car (stick shift) and after a 2 minutes driving lesson in the parking lot, taught myself how to drive a manual in Joburg… anyone who has driven in Africa will know that this is probably not the best idea, but it was fun. Joburg is known for car jacking and road rage, and at one point when I pulled out into an intersection and will my very small car managed to stall and block all 3 lanes of incoming traffic, I experienced a little of what driving in Jozi can offer, but I simply looked at those hooting at me and said “Sorry I am a learner” and restarted my car and drove away, causing them all to miss their entire green light!! OOOOOPS!!

As I drove myself to Durban (a 6 hour drive) every radio station was talking about the agreement that Thambo Mbeki had successfully negotiated between the Zimbabwean parties. He was being threatened with removal from office in his own country, but was busy making deals in our country that would seriously impact not only Zimbabwe, but the surrounding countries as well…. Something seemed wrong about that and I couldn’t keep listening so I turned off the radio and listened to my ipod instead! John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change” played several times in the drive and on the radio and the words resonated strongly with me. Everything people talk about in Zim right now is contingent upon our situation changing. I hear things like “if things turn right…” or “When things are different” in regards to getting a job, quitting a job; moving or not moving; building a house or not building. I wonder what we are really waiting for. I have continued to maintain the position that Zimbabwe will change when we change. When Zimbabweans refuse to stand for less than what is right and when foreign government’s refuse to accept Mugabe’s reign as legitimate. I am tired of waiting for the world to change, I am ready to change the world.

I stopped in Petermaritzburg for the night and walked around the town the next morning. I was overwhelmed with the history of this place, what especially hit me what the impact this place had on the life of Gandhi. He was thrown off of the 1st class train in 1863 because he was not white. On a statue honoring him is a statement saying that his non-violent movement started here.

When I finally reached Durban I was so excited for a holiday that I headed straight for the beach!! It was almost like being home!! I spent a few nights in a hostel and just hung out and enjoyed myself. I was able to meet some guys who teach the kids on the street to surf and I hooked up with some of the local lifeguards for surfing lessons…. I have a few things I want to do before I turn 30 and I am starting to check them off!!

When Glen and Linda arrived we travel to Etsone and attended the ceremony inaugurating Pastor Chris as the moderator of the presbytery in Southern Africa. It was freezing cold, but such an honor to be there to support the man who has been such a blessing in my life!

While I was in South Africa, my friend Lori was running her second half marathon for Refuge. Please check it out www.run4refuge.com she is so great! It is not too late to donate… there are people running until October 12 and everything that you donate is matched by her company!!

After we left South Africa I had the joy of spending Linda’s first week in Zimbabwe with her!! It was so cool to see her meet all of the people that her life has been impacting for all of these years!

We got to do lots of ministry and spent time with the kids at Monde Primary School, the kids of Gwayi River and the people that we love in the areas surrounding Vic Falls. We hung out with old friends, made new friends and it was such a blessing to see Linda in action. She gave me a new nickname, Regindiana Jones… I think she wanted me to rethink Regina the Rockstar after hearing me sing with the kids in Monde! But when you look at the pics I really do look like a rockstar, don’t ya think??

I have had moments in the past 20 days of great joy. Sitting on the beach in South Africa and putting my feet in the ocean for the first time in what seems like forever was great. Seeing 9 lions with Linda on her first trip was amazing. But there have also been times of excruciating ache. My visit to the hospital this week showed that the treaty between the parties has not yet provided reason to celebrate in the lives of the people. The children’s ward was filled with babies whose main issue was a lack of food. One of these babies, a four month old named, Brandon I held and fed him his first milk in 3 days. His mother had died the previous Friday. 3 hours later he was dead. I have no doubt that when I return to the hospital in a couple of days I will find that he is not the only one. But we have been able to be a presence in the lives of his relatives who do not have a church family, and Glen spoke at Brandon’s funeral. His family has sense called me several times to come over and pray with them and I know that God will use Brandon’s life to bring his dad and brothers and sisters to Jesus.

God is moving in Zimbabwe. We are not waiting on the world to change, we are looking for every opportunity to change the world!

PS I have tried to upload pics but the internet is too slow... surprise, surprise... I will do so when the internet allows :-)

3 comments:

jesika said...

"I am tired of waiting for the world to change, I am ready to change the world." This is one of the reasons I love you so, so much.

cc26 said...

I am tired of waiting for the world to change, I am ready to change the world.

LIVE IN THIS SAYING! These are your words. And remember, your ministry - ugly and hard - IS changing the world.

Lori said...

Amen to both comments above.

I love you Regina, and I like your new nickname!