Sunday, March 30, 2008

I've got my joy back!

The Bible is full of verses about joy.

We all know that we are supposed to be filled with joy, after all it is one of the fruits of the spirit... but yesterday I didn't feel joyful. I felt burdened. And this morning I woke up and I did not feel joyful.

I felt heavy, out of place, I don't know... just off.

I have prayed, I have rebuked spirits, I have tried to serve others... still no joy.

I wanted to be saying:
This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

But instead, I felt like I should be saying: Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:12

So..... I took off after church while the good people of David Livingstone Memorial Presbyterian Church held their Annual General Meeting (no thank you) and went to the falls.

It seemed that if my heart wanted to be in Zim, the next best thing was to be soaked in the water of the mighty Zambezi.

It was such an amazing day. I have got my joy back, I reclaimed it in the waters of the mighty Zambezi.

As I danced through the rain from the very full falls, I couldn't help but stand in awe at the wonder of all the Lord has created. He loves us so much. As I soaked up the sun along the side of the river, laughing with both old and new friends, I couldn't help but be filled with joy. As I (stupidly, I will admit) walked down the gorge to the boiling pot (at 5:00pm) I took in the sights, sounds and smells of the lush rain forest. As I walked up at about 6:30 pm (in the dark trying not to get lost) I delighted in the fact that our Lord has created us for adventure.

Yes, I am the clumsy girl who doesn't like the outdoors or the dirt. (And Lori... I think I will go to Joshua Tree with Jesika, thank you very much!!) And yes, I was covered in dirt, mud and of course a little blood from some war wounds... and I was ALIVE!

I was filled with joy.

The burden that I carry for Zim has not lightened. As I was covered in water from the falls, I kept my eyes focused on the side of the river that is Zimbabwe, my home. I kept my heart focused on the Lord, and I know that He can be trusted. That He loves his people in Zimbabwe, more than I do. And that whatever the outcome of the elections, that our mission hasn't changed.

How blessed I am with the life that I have been given.

Gigi

1 comment:

Heather Olds said...

wow, love your blog..i'm gonna put a link to yours from my blog. i'm new to this whole blogging thing, it's amazing how we can connect with people all over the world. i am also a social worker, and i'm so interested to hear more of what you're doing in africa. keep up the good work..i'll be praying for you!
-heather o.
http://www.heatherolds.blogspot.com/
..my blog is new and a little lame at this time..