Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Team Chari: A look back to our first He Said/She Said!

In the summer of 2012, my Aunt Laura and cousin Amanda hosted a very special bridal shower for me in Michigan. (Let's not even talk about the fact that we ended up not getting married until October 2013!!)

I was so blessed to spend the day with some ladies that have been very special to me at various times in my life.... some friends from elementary, middle and high school came.  Girls that I spent some fabulous years at MSU with were there, and of course my grandma and aunt cricket-- the ladies who raised me. 

The hard work that Aunt Laura and Amanda put into that day made me feel so very loved.

One of my favorite memories from that day was reading this He Said/She Said.  Seeing the differences in how Nyasha and I wrote about our relationship was hilarious to me.  He was so far away on that day, I was in Michigan and he was in Harare... but reading his words was like having him right there with me!

Since many of our friends weren't able to be there with us at the shower, I thought I would share those words with you here.  Tomorrow we will have been married for a year.  I can't believe it... and I promise our stories are still just as different! 



She Says...

I met Nyasha in May 2009. I was stuck working in the capital of Zimbabwe (I prefer working in the rural areas) and my friend Walter was always pushing me to have a social life in Harare, so I let him convince me to come to his “Africa Day” Braai (BBQ). I later found out that he wanted me to meet his best friend, hoping we would hit it off.  An hour after I arrived, Walter’s plan was thwarted- Nyasha introduced himself and 4 hours later he left me baffled.  He didn’t even ask for my phone number! But he did invite me to go to church with him and visit an orphanage he supported.  That Sunday I took a couple of friends with me to his church (no doubt he knew he would have no trouble spotting me—I was the only white person there!) He only saved one seat, so we had to sit it the balcony where it was stifling hot and he said “I’ll just see you after”.  REALLY? Ugh this man! He got on my nerves from the very beginning, but there was something special about him—and he’s really handsome, so I was gracious. 

 After church we were making our way to the orphanage, but half of the guys from the party that week (including Walter and the friend he wanted me to meet) were at church and they all managed to involve themselves in our plan—and we ended up stopping for lunch at my favorite chicken place in Harare.  So Nyasha and I had our first “date” in the middle of a table of onlookers!  We made it to the orphanage and he was better than I hoped. 

A few days later I introduced him to Ruthie, the little girl I hoped to adopt and explained that although he hadn’t even asked me on a proper date yet, that Ruth and I were a package deal.  If he didn’t like that there was no reason to hang around.  He spent some time getting to know her while I was away in the rural areas and when I returned to Harare he said that he could see that she was special, and he could see that I loved her.  He said he would try to love her too.  And he did.  Our entire relationship has been a battle against differences-personal and cultural, but if we could meet on the most important issues, faith and love, then I decided I was willing to overlook the other things that get on my nerves, like McDonalds being his favorite thing about America or the fact that he can sometimes be passive about things when I am passionate about everything.  I rarely compromise on the fact that my world is decorated in pink, but I think he has come to accept that… and I will probably let him keep his blue bath mats—Maybe.   

I don’t think I even knew how lonely my Zimbabwean life was I was until Nyasha made a place for himself in my life.  I was very fulfilled and pretty content with my life.  I wasn’t looking for a partner, I wasn’t looking to fill a hole, I actually didn’t even realize what was missing. I always thought that eventually my time in Africa would end and I would come home to real life and get married and settle down.  I thought I would marry him almost immediately after meeting him, but I KNEW one day when he explained his views about Ruthie to me.  We are so very opposite, in almost every way, but somehow he is the exact size of the piece that was missing in the puzzle of my heart.  Some days in Zim when everything goes wrong and I want to give up, I look at Nyasha and Ruthie and I am amazed at this beautiful picture that I never would have chosen for myself and how perfectly it fits.  They are the evidence of the verse I have clung to -Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of your heart.”  It is true, even if I never knew what my heart truly desired.

He Says…

I met Regina 3yrs ago and everything about this girl was colorful, from her smile to the way she chatted her way through the people that she met in Zimbabwe. I then later realized her favorite color is pink, she is striking just like that colour. I am a blue guy so we were different just on that, we are different in almost every way, I am mellow and it’s just like “hey, I'm here”.  We met at a party hosted by Walter and a week later we got together, I thought we were going to be alone, so I saved one seat for her at church, but she arrived with an entourage so she sat elsewhere.  The first time we sat next to each other that day was at lunch. Somehow, I found myself at a table with 9 people but I got to sit next to her at least.  We went to Coimbra, a Portuguese restaurant which turned out to be Regina's favorite restaurant, but mainly because of the bread and gravy they serve, bread which she is allergic to or maybe that's just an African excuse. I on the other hand don't really have a favorite restaurant; I just like good tasty food or that fish burger from McDonalds which we don't have in Zimbabwe. I would say the one thing that sticks out for me about Regina that I love about her is how she won't budge on her beliefs; that is a special quality. I think the one thing she loves the most about me is how allow her to just be herself. She gets on my nerves when she gets bossy and forgets to consider other people, but that comes along with her colourful personality, I guess. On the other hand I can be passive and then overlook things and I understand how that can be frustrating for her. I guess spending an entire life with someone makes marriage a rare and exciting relationship that should be treasured, I think that’s what I would say I am looking forward to, a whole life.  I think for Regina she’s looking forward to sharing life and of course having sex all the time.  I just feel blessed that God brought her all the way from America just for me. We are opposites in almost everything but we just match.

Oh I almost forgot, before I even asked her out on a date, she took me to this small orphanage I had never heard of, and I have lived in Harare my whole life. I don’t know how she finds these places.  She introduced me to this small little girl, Ruth, and told me that if I wasn’t willing to adopt her and love her like my own child, then I might as well forget about asking her out.  Regina is very forward, and although many men in Zimbabwe would want to date her, I am not sure that many would want to bring Ruthie home.  But something happened when I started spending time with Ru. I could see how much Regina loves her.  Regina is a therapist so she has explanations for this, but Ru can’t love back yet.  She is 9 and I see Regina’s heart break some days with this little girl. No one in the world can understand this and it only makes sense when you see it, but these two belong together.  Ruthie has spent her life in a grey place and pink is her favorite color.  She has never had a choice about anything and yet she is as stubborn as a donkey about the things she wants.  Shoes are her favorite thing. Every doctor she’s met has said that she will die and yet this girl is a fighter and she proves them all wrong every day.  Regina and Ruthie have taught me so much about God’s love.  To love one without the other doesn’t make sense. My country doesn’t understand adoption, but Regina gives her life to change that.  Some might say I was her first convert-but not her last.


So there you have it.... Nyasha basically wrote for my gma to read that the main reason I wanted to get married was to have sex.  Oh for the LOVE!!!! 

With love from Zimbabwe,

Gigi


 

Amanda, Aunt Laura and me

Aunt Cricket, me and Gma!

No comments: