Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Independence Day

I celebrated April 18, Zimbabwe's Independance Day, a little differently than I have in the past couple of years... and certainly different that most Zimbabweans.

The Williams' (the family that I stay with when I visit the capital city, Harare) invited me to join them for the holiday weekend. They were going to Bulawayo, or so they told me.

As we arrived we checked into Camp Amalinda I was overwhelmed with what the Williams' were blessing me with. A 5 night holiday in a beautiful safari camp. We were surrounded by bush and the gigantic granite wonderland of the Matopos.

We spent the entire time lounging by the pool, rock climbing (yes Lori, I said ROCK CLIMBING), hiking, and eating amazing food.

I had a fabulous time. I am constantly overwhelmed with how much i love Zimbabwe. This place has captured me.

I know that i did not have the same experience of most of the zimbaweans I know on Independence Day, most of the people I know live in the high density and their salaries buy cooking oil, mealie meal and maybe a little more. The cost of public transportation to bulawayo from the falls for one person would be more than half of a salary. I am grateful for what I am given, but I did spend the weekend in the bush praying for the future of this place.

I love Zimbabwe. I don't know where this journey is taking us, but I know one thing for sure, God (not man) is in control.

1 comment:

cc26 said...

Your Independance Day sounds so amazing! I miss Zim. And Zam for that matter. I can't wait to be there with you, friend!