Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My thoughts on the death of Osama Bin Laden...

Ever since I first heard the news last night that Osama Bin Laden was dead, that the military had finally captured him, I have had mixed emotions.  I felt conflicted- relieved that we can stop talking about the search for him and yet sad at the idea that a man who caused so much pain and death has met his death and will now face judgement. 


One thing is true, I will not rejoice or celebrate his death.  His death does not make me feel safe nor does it make me feel relieved.  I do not feel any more or less protected than I did yesterday... I have however felt saddened by the facebook and twitter posts that are celebratory, as if we have won something.  I have thought multiple times over the past 24 hours that if someone murdered my relative and was being executed --would i go to watch? Maybe.  Would I be dancing in the street and throwing a party? Probably not.  I am not sure that I would feel as if I've won anything and that is how I feel now.  I do not feel as if his body is a prize.  I was struggling with my mixed emotions and then I read this, from a blog of a friend of mine that I respect greatly.  He wrote,


"Death is the most powerful weapon at our disposal. It was Bin Laden's greatest power - death and the fear of the death. Today we see that it is America's great power. His reign was ended with his own weapon. It has always been this way. The kings of the earth kill one another. Some will argue that there are times when killing is justified. I am torn on that matter. What I do know is that the world runs on the fear of death.

Our King understood this. So, he attacked the biggest enemy itself. Our King died to beat death. While every other King who has ever lived used death to gain power, Jesus the Christ died to gain power. And our King is the only King to ever beat death"



Today I am reminded of a quote spoken a long time ago by another man that I respect...Martin Luther King jr.  He said, "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~MLK jr.


I do not believe in hate. I do not believe in murder.  I do not believe in vengeance.  I believe in LOVE. I believe in forgiveness.  I believe in justice.  I believe in hope. I believe in LOVE.  


I believe that there has only been one death that has ever brought peace.  It did not happen last night, but it was celebrated by many last week.  


My heart aches for everyone affected by September 11 and the events that have followed.  I believe every American has been.  At the very least, we have been made afraid... very afraid.  But the death of Osama Bin Laden cannot erase the fear of death, not in my opinion.  Only Jesus can do that.  I am proud to be an American.  But I am a Christian first, an American 
second... my journey through life in Zimbabwe has taught me that.


This is just my opinion... I will leave you with a few thoughts of my biggest hero, and you can form your own.


"As sure as I am the living God, I take no pleasure from the death of the wicked. I want the wicked to change their ways and live. Turn your life around! Reverse your evil ways! " Ezekial 33:11 (MSG)


"I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of." John 10:10 (MSG)


“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!" Matthew 5:43 (NLT)

No comments: