Friday, May 6, 2011

My thoughts about packing::

When I was a little girl and my grandparents would pull out my little suitcase and tell me we were going somewhere fabulous- it was ALWAYS somewhere fabulous, I would immediately start to pack, EVERYTHING.

Even as a child I was an overpacker, if I was going somewhere for the day, I would stuff as many things into my little girl purse as possible and still feel nervous that I wouldn’t have what I needed when I got there.
In my early 20’s I accepted the fact that I would always be an over-packer.  If I was on a trip with a group, I would always have the most luggage.  It was ok, I was comfortable that way.

The first few times I packed for trips to Zimbabwe were a nightmare.  “3 suitcases of 70 pounds?? I will be gone a year!!!” Some of you were gracious enough to help me pack those bags. You witnessed my dilemma, what I wanted to take vs what was reasonable to take.  What supplies were needed vs how much shampoo I thought would get me through!

Every year when I travel to Zim after visiting the States, I cry when it’s time to pack.  I used to cry because I couldn't fit everything and I couldn’t imagine living without anything!

Today I am 31 and when I travel to Zimbabwe I get a luggage allowance of 2 bags of 50 pounds each thanks to high fuel prices!  I have more people to buy gifts for than ever and I know more projects and more of their needs than ever before.

I have to understand that I cannot fit everything into 100 pounds.

“He who would travel happily must travel light.” – Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

Today I am packing to travel to Michigan for a week to visit my grandma and family. It is mother’s day and my grandma’s birthday and it has been ages since I have been able to look in the eyes of the women who raised me and tell them I love them on this day. I do not take their sacrifices for granted.

I am also packing my bags for Zimbabwe, with the hope that after this week with them I will be getting back to my work!

Yesterday the doctor wrote a letter releasing me back to work after all of my medical treatments I wanted to dance my way out of Nashville General Hospital!

But today I am faced with the reality of packing.  My tears today are not about putting stuff in a suitcase, I feel blessed to even have stuff and a case to put it in. I feel more blessed to have a journey. My tears are about the comings and the goings.  You see,  in order for me to go to Zimbabwe, I must leave the US.  That has always been the problem… leaving behind the people who make my life special.

When people ask me about what my daily life looks like in Zimbabwe, they get sad when I tell them about the work that I do, they often say, “That must be so hard”.  Yes it is, but what is harder is at the end of the day I come home to someone else’s family.  I celebrate the birthdays of the relatives of others.  I attend weddings of other people’s cousins.  I am so grateful to the people in Zimbabwe that have made me a part of their family.  There are too many to list.  No matter how much I love them, I am still missing my own family.

I am blessed to have so many families and so many places that make me feel at home.  The challenge comes in only being able to be in one place at a time… it means that I am always missing someone, somewhere.

Today is my last day in Nashville for a while.  For those special people who have made me at home here, who have made me a part of their family, I will be eternally grateful.  Nearly 3 months of medical care would been far more difficult without my best friend Natalie and her family and the dear people of Bluegrass Baptist Church.

My tears while packing today are not about shirts and shoes… even if it may look that way.  Today my tears are about you.  I will miss you.

4 comments:

Shebecomes said...

Regina- I am so happy and thankful that all is well with your health and you are getting ready to go back. I am sure Zimbabwe misses you greatly!

I got your card in the mail and it was such a sweet surprise! Thank you for thinking of me. I continue to pray for you and Zim :)

Stephen VanDruff said...

Your expressive heart always taps the emotion meter for me. You steadily readily make this grown man cry.

I don't miss the irony that while you focus your life on being "family" to those without, you're expanding God's family as well as your heart.

You are a blessing to others - and thereby BLESSED

I love having a Sister like you!

DEYOS-ZAMBIA said...

Hey Regina, how are you? I can see you have quiet a lot going on now. How is the mission work in Zimbabwe..Am in the US now with Natalie (wife)...God Bless

Rufus said...

Regina -I miss u, I miss u. and dido on the packing my sista