Thursday, April 14, 2011

Forgiveness-- who I want to be.

"Life is so much more than mere existence. Faith lifts us above simple existence and gives us true meaning and purpose, ESPECIALLY in times of suffering."  Gayle Haggard from Why I Stayed.
I have been reading a book by Gayle Haggard.  It is the story of her life and marriage.  Her husband Ted, was the center of a very heartbreaking and public betrayal.   Her story of forgiveness is a beautiful picture of how we are all meant to live.  She is inspiring me beyond what I could have ever imagined.

Several times in the books she mentions that on difficult days she would ask herself a question.  "Who do I want to be in this story?"  I have found myself asking this question more and more often lately as well.  And in those moments, my answer always leads me to an action that is loving and kind.  Because the truth of the matter is that I want to be a person that is more like Jesus: loving, gracious, forgiving and kind.  But sometimes I need a reminder, it doesn't always comes naturally!
Gayle also says that Love is forgiveness.  I am holding onto this today.  I want to be a person of forgiveness.
I have loved reading her story, and I have learned so much.  This quote means so much to me because it is true in my life.  My faith has given me a meaning and a purpose.  My faith has given me a LIFE.

 

No comments: