Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Longing for the kitchen...

Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate your prayers! I have been living in Harare since April, when I returned to Zimbabwe and it's been a bigger adjustment that I anticipated!  I miss Vic Falls terribly (the people, my old house, the weather, the high density and especially the magnificent falls).

In Harare, I have been staying in Borrowdale (a wealthy suburb) with an amazing family.  You have all heard me talk about Sue and Graham Williams and their amazingly beautiful and special daughter, Asher.  When I used to visit Harare, I would stay with the Williams family and their beautiful home has become a sanctuary for me.  But, now that I am living here something is not sitting well with me.  I have avoided that typical "missionary" picture that we see in Africa, where white missionaries come from the western world and somehow manage to live a similar lifestyle to what they left behind.  I have been very intentional about living in the high density, so that I can understand the lifestyle of the majority of Zimbabweans and to help immerse myself in the culture more quickly.

I am hoping to find a situation in Harare similar to the one that I had in Vic Falls.  When I first moved to Vic Falls, I lived with Bheki and Jannet--in their kitchen!  Some days I thought I would never survive, but I did, we all did and those first 18 months are the most special memories I have of my time in Zimbabwe.  I don't necessarily want to move back into a kitchen, but a bedroom in the home of a Christian family in one of the high density of Harare would be amazing!  Please pray that God will provide a home and a family for me soon!

1 comment:

Shebecomes said...

I will be praying for that!

Also, you may have seen a post about it on facebook, but I will be in Vic Falls for 3 weeks around Christmas. I know you are in Harare, but if you happen to be in the Vic Falls area during that time please let me know. I would love to hang out with you in real life!