Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's not about me?

I am learning to be less selfish. Not because I like learning these lessons, but I suppose God thought it was time.

Last week I decided to extend my time in the States a little longer. I decided to spend an extra 16 days here because 2 of my favorite Zimbabweans are getting on a plane and coming to America for the first time. I am going to be their tour guide. I was excited and pleased to be spending some extra time here.

As many of you know, this was the first year I was excited to come back to the States. Never before did I want to leave Zim, even when I had been arrested. But this has been a very hard year and I was ready to rest and be loved on.

Yesterday I spoke with Asher and her mom and they decided that she would like to be in California for a month, rather than 2 weeks. I had to make a decision whether or not I would stay with her or leave her here with other friends. I prayed quickly and knew that God was saying I will stay.

My heart broke. I already agreed to an extra 16 days... not another 12??? UGH!!! My PLANS! MY HOMESICK HEART? ME, ME, ME, ME, ME!!!

After I got off the phone I broke down into tears. As I talked to God about it I heard clearly. "How have you gotten so confused? You know that you being in Zimbabwe isn't about YOU being in Zimbabwe. It's about helping to raise up the next generation of Zimbabweans to fulfill MY purpose. It's about ME."

Ugh, I don't like being wrong and I don't like being humbled. I like learning lessons easily, like from a book.

At least for today I am happy to be a part of His plan in a nation that is so special, with people that are so amazing.

Today, it is not about me.

P.S. A few hours after this lesson I went to the gym for a meeting about Keegan, the Zimbabean runner that is here and he is doing so well. This kid is on target for a scholarship and to run for Zimbabwe in the next Olympics. I am humbled by his obedience and faithfulness even in difficult times, another kid that we will help so that he can help change Zimbabwe. Wow I am blessed!


P.P.S. Asher got her visa...it's official: THEY ARE COMING!!!

1 comment:

cc26 said...

I know it is so hard for you to be away from your home for so long but, your favorite Zimbos are going to be here and I know that they are so eager to have you by their side sharing in this special, special time in thier lives.

And, selfishly, I am SO STOKED to have you hear longer.

xoxoxo