Monday, February 1, 2016

Black History Month #1: This Little Light of Mine

This year, during black history month I am committing to learn and share something new with my kiddos each day.  We started with "This Little Light of Mine."

I grew up singing this song in a basement of Taylor Center Baptist Church in my Aunt Letha's Sunday school class.  It was always one of my favorites although I am not really sure why.  I remember She taught us little hand gestures to go with it and all.

For some reason I had never really learned or paid attention to the fact that this song was one of many that resonated deeply and became a part of the Civil Rights Movement.  I read that the song also found its way into the Civil Rights movement when Fannie Lou Hammer added it to her repertoire with songs like Go Tell it on the Mountain, and We Shall Overcome.  

Vivienne loves music, she has a wide range of favorites (Uptown Funk being one of them) but she loves worship music often raising her tiny arms at church when Mercy leads "Good, Good Father." When we listened to a few versions of this song together she lit up and danced away.  We ended up singing it all evening together and praying that both her and her big sister will always let their light shine. 

I want my kiddos to feel pride in their various shade of brown skin.   I want them to see that although their father is black African and their mother is white American, they will often be considered "African American" by a system that doesn't have a box for them. I want them to know that this adopted heritage is rich and beautiful.  The stories of the strength and fortitude of those who came before them who refused to accept a world that wanted to dim the light of an entire people group is filled with inspiration.

I am going to try to find the time to share a bit about what we are learning here, but for today please enjoy this version of This Little Light of Mine that was sung on David Letterman on his first show after 9/11. 



Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

No comments: