Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Exciting News!



Hello friends and family,

I am embarking on something new that is both frightening and exciting for me: I am going back to school!  For the past 7 years, I have been living and working in Zimbabwe as a missionary.  The world has changed so much in the past decade that few people are fortunate enough to be utilizing the degrees they earned;  I am proud to say that both my bachelor and master degrees in Social Work, coupled with my experience with children and youth have equipped me for the work I started out doing here.  I am grateful every day for the education I received prior to coming to Zimbabwe. 

However, as time has passed, I have found that much of my work now centers around equipping and empowering the local church to care for the 1.6 million orphans in Zimbabwe, as the church is truly the only entity big enough to manage the orphan crisis we are facing.

I have been greatly inspired by the work Saddleback Church has been involved with in Rwanda.  Orphanages are closing as indigenous families in Rwanda adopt and foster orphaned children!  There is a great shift in the global movement of orphan care from orphanages and institutions to foster care and adoption.

Zimbabwe too is in an orphan crisis and the church must follow its command to care for the orphans in their distress. Knowing that the world is now moving away from building orphanages, and whenever possible, finding families for these special children -  it has been on my heart for the past couple of years to better equip myself regarding this shift in philosophy, which really now resembles a more healthy outlook on care taking for abandoned children.   For the past few years I have been counseling children in orphanages in order to help them connect with their caregivers. I have been part of a team equipping pastors with resources to teach about indigenous adoption and I have been providing support and counseling to Zimbabwean families who are adopting.   

With that in mind, after a lot of searching, I have found a program at a college in Michigan that offers a fabulous Masters Degree in Missional Leadership.  I will be studying with a small cohort of students doing amazing things.  The majority of our work will be done online, and once a semester, I will fly back to the States for a week-long intensive course - each time in a different location so that we can learn from people who are implementing skills we are learning, in their ministry. 

What I love about this program is that my coursework will be able to involve things that I am currently doing in ministry and the program is created in such a way that you don’t stop working to go to school, but rather you are required to be in working in some capacity in a ministry before you can even start the program.  Throughout the two year program, I will become increasingly more prepared to help the church in Zimbabwe to better care for our orphans. 

I believe that this is an imperative next step in the commitment I have made to God to serve the children of Zimbabwe.  However, I need your help.  I haven’t spent one day serving in Zimbabwe alone.  I have had a dedicated team of people around praying, encouraging and financially supporting work here.  I have been overwhelmed by the love that you all have shown me over these past 7 years and never have I needed you more. I am working with an amazing group of people in Zimbabwe that all have a heart for God and are committed to seeing children without homes placed with a family.

I will travel to the States Mid-August for school orientation and my first one week intensive course in September.  I will stay on to complete a training for adoptive parents as well as a course on TBRI, a therapeutic intervention that is highly successful with children that have experienced trauma.

I have received a 100% scholarship for the cost of the TBRI training, and a 30% scholarship for my masters program, however, I need to raise $9,600 to cover the cost of my first semester of school, my travel and the other trainings I will be participating in while I am in the States. If you would like to make a tax deductible contribution to cover these expenses, I would be so grateful! I cannot emphasize enough how even the smallest donations can help! You can do so online at: http://www.rockofafrica.org/regina

With love from Zimbabwe,
Regina

P.S.If you would like to set up a meeting or a time for me to speak at your church or school, please email me soon!

No comments: