Thursday, September 6, 2012

Answered Prayers and Accomplished Goals

An interesting question was asked by someone I follow on Twitter this week.... He said that he is starting work later in the day than normal this week and his goal is to make it to the gym each morning.  He posted "What is your goal this week?"

I immediately stopped and put everything down and asked myself, what is ONE goal I can set for myself this week that has nothing to do with my current to-do list.

The first thing that popped into my head was that I wanted to do something to help someone that is a complete stranger to me.  So I picked up my phone and replied to his tweet and said, "My goal is to do something to help someone who is currently a stranger to me!"

I then took a few moments to just sit quietly and I asked God to make a way for me to accomplish this goal.  To put a complete stranger in my path that I can help... and not just help like "walk an old granny across the street" kind of help.  I asked boldly for someone to come into contact with me that needed help in a way that clearly I was CREATED to help them with.

Tuesday went by and nothing obvious happened. I went to an AA meeting and met some people, only a few of which were strangers to me, but I didn't help anyone in any way that I could see at least.

Wednesday morning I went to the grocery store. It was the first time in ages that I wasn't annoyed at this task, mainly because I went early in the morning on a week day and the shop was empty!  As I was in the queue at the till, a young man greeted me. He said "Auntie Regina, how are you?" I have no idea who he is, but I said hello and told him I was well and made some small talk until it was my turn to check out.  I paid and then walked to Nyasha's car and loaded my groceries in.

As I was getting ready to drive away, I stopped to load airtime in my phone.  As I did, there was a knock on the window.  This same young man was there and I rolled down the window and he said, "Auntie Regina, if someone wants to stay away from drugs, how do they do that?" and I said what my very first sponsor would have said to me when I was 19 years old and wanted an easy answer, I said "Well I guess they would just stay away from drugs.  It's simple but it's not easy-it's very hard." Then he said, "Well I need help, I just got out of rehab and I need to learn what to do." So I gave him my phone number and said that I've been there, I've learned what he needs to learn and that if he would call me I would introduce him to some guys that have learned how to stay clean to."

By the time I drove those three minutes back to my place, I had thought of what those early times were like. They were horrible.  I had to give up everything I ever loved, I had to reconstruct my whole life in order to stay sober. It was not easy, but it certainly was simple: STAY AWAY from people that use, STAY AWAY from people who sell, STAY AWAY from parties and bars, STAY AWAY from anyone who isn't helping you grow healthier.  I have learned that the only way for a TRUE addict to stay away from what they are addicted to is to STAY NEAR to God.

God answered my prayers that day...and I think he might have answered another persons prayers as well.  Hopefully I will be able to help this young man practice what he learned in rehab...

With Love From Zimbabwe,

Regina

No comments: