Monday, July 14, 2008

In our daily Bible reading, we have been reading 1st and 2nd Timothy recently.

I have really been thinking about the importance of the relationship between a person and their mentor.

I have been blessed to have some AMAZING women mentor me, and sometimes it surprises me to hear the girls that consider me a mentor.

I wanted to share an experience with you that I consider and early birthday present!

Asher Williams in an 18 year old girl that lives in Harare and has a huge heart for the Lord and a heart for orphans. I consider her an answer to the prayer of my heart for the past couple of years to have God send me a person that I could raise up to lead Refuge when it is time for me to let go. She is almost done with high school and unlike most of her friends has a real desire to stay in Zimbabwe. She is considering doing correspondence courses for a degree and has been working in the local orphanages with me.

We were sitting in church last night and Pastor Tom was preaching from 2nd Timothy and she passed me a note that said "Timothy and Paul are like me and you."

As I started to read the words that Paul wrote to Timothy, I could imagine myself as an old woman (not really that hard to do these days... I am turning 29 in a couple of days and everywhere I go the youth hold up 3 fingers on one and and make an o with their other to point out that I am almost 30...which in my opinion is still VERY young, however they seem to think I am quite old) writing those words to Asher.

Paul loved God and loved Timothy very much. It takes a very special kind of love to mentor someone. I am learning that, and in that understanding I am coming to appreciate the women who have mentored me in the past and those who still continue to mentor me now.

I have such a great life... when I read these words, written by Paul close to my heart:
"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." 1 Tim 1:12-14

Indeed I do give thanks!

1 comment:

Shebecomes said...

Wow, what a blessing and honor to be looked up to as a mentor...and if anyone is a modern day Paul, it is you!