Sunday, February 2, 2020

What I am reading: The Girl With The Louding Voice

❝I want more than just a voice, I want a louding voice. I want to enter a room and people will hear me even before I open my mouth to be speaking. I want to live in this life and help many people so that when I grow old and die, I will still be living through the people I am helping.❞




This year, I have made a commitment to choosing what I read a bit more intentionally. I have joined a book club here in Harare that is wonderfully diverse and the first books we have read together have been perfect choices- totally out of my typical choices.

The girl with the Louding Voice is not one that I read for book club, although I have no doubt it will be one of our selections this month. 

I cannot overstate this.....THIS BOOK IS SPECTACULAR! Do not delay in purchasing a copy and insisting all your friends do the same. You will devour this book and you will want to talk about it. TRUST ME.

It has been years since a book impressed me this much. 

This book is everything I hoped it would be and more. Abi Daré is an incredible storyteller. This debut novel centers around the life of Adunni, a fourteen-year-old Nigerian girl who doesn't want to go with the flow and follow the path her father and fate have dictated for her life.


This book is at the same time heartbreaking and inspiring. I fell in love with Adunni I found myself cheering her on and wanting to be her friend. From the first infuriating pages, I couldn't stop reading this book. The characters are complex and well developed. The book tackles incredibly difficult issues while weaving a story so intriguing you wont want to stop reading.

This is a story similar to so many I hear in real life and yet it pulled me right in. I learned so much about Nigeria, the facts about the nation were woven in effortlessly with the story.

It has been decided, Abi Daré, I am a fan. I will forevermore read anything you choose to write!




The publisher provided an ARC through Netgalley. I have voluntarily decided to read and review, giving my personal opinions and thoughts.

No comments: