Thursday, May 1, 2014

All in a Day's Work: Resignation from ROCK of Africa



May 1, 2014:

Hi Friends,

I have some exciting news to share with you all.  I have officially resigned my position as a short term missionary with ROCK of Africa missions.  This is probably a long time coming, since eight years on the mission field can hardly be considered “short term!” However as Nyasha and I have been navigating this first year of marriage, (which makes my time here significantly more permanent) we realized that some changes needed to take place officially with my work. 

In Zimbabwe, I have always worked in and through local churches and this just makes it official that I am submitting to a local church as my covering and supervision. 

My daily work will consist of the same tasks:

  •   Providing skills training and support to staff and caregivers of local orphanages and projects
  • Advocating for increased numbers of local foster and adoptive placements for orphaned children
  • Supporting adoptive and foster parents 
  •  Providing psychosocial support to children in orphanages and community projects 
  •  Creating resources to help equip pastors and community leaders to better  care for orphaned children in their community
All of this work will continue through The Michael Project at Greystone Park Church.  I will also be serving alongside the team at their partnering organization, Hands of Hope.  

The major change that is taking place at this time is in the way that my support is raised and distributed.  Refuge has been accepted as a project of New Horizons Foundation.  My personal support and the funds to cover the cost of the work I am participating in will now go through New Horizons Foundation.  

New Horizons is a 501c3 and all donations will be tax deductible.  If you would like information regarding how to join my support team, please email me!  As always you can make a donation directly to The Michael Project in Zimbabwe to cover the direct costs of caring for orphaned children, although for Americans that will not be tax deductible. 

This is an exciting time and I look forward to sharing this journey with you!

With love from Zimbabwe,

Gigi

I am so grateful to ROCK of Africa for taking a chance on me all those years ago.  May God continue to bless all the work done in places like this special village. 

No comments: