Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nyasha's Arms of Mercy

Every day I get a beautiful reminder of the blessings that come with the kind of life I get to enjoy.

I live in a high density neighborhood with LOTS of children. Some of them do not know me and they still refer to me as “Makhiwa” (white person) but so many of them know me and so as I walk through the dusty roads of Mkhosana I hear, “Regina! Regina!”

No matter how many times I come out of my front door every day, there is a beautiful little girl named Nyasha who greets me. She is young, probably 3 years old, and when I left Zimbabwe last year she didn’t really ever speak to me. This year, however, every time I walk out my front door she runs to me and shouts, “Regina! Regina! I’m fine!” I love that she tells me she is fine before I even say to her, “Good morning, Nyasha, how are you?” She always jumps and throws her arms around me.

Obviously, I love these encounters, but recently I met another Nyasha and learned that the name means ‘compassion’ or ‘mercy’. So every morning I feel the arms of compassion and the arms of mercy wrapped around me as I start my day. What a reminder of how good God really is.

Despite the cold showers in winter, I am a blessed woman!

1 comment:

cc26 said...

the first blog about nyasha...nice. :)