Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My First Real Blog

Ok Beth, this is really for you... I will see if it works!

It is October in Zimbabwe, the month we in Vic Falls affectionately call "suicide month"  It is starting to get really hot!  I spend as much time as I can in the shower, in the river or in a pool... unfortunately there is often not water in my neighborhood, the river is illegal according to Parks and Wildlife and there isn't a pool in Mkhosana so I am sweaty a lot of the time!

I am heading back to the States for a little while at the end of November and I am really looking forward to seeing my friends and family and or course, my little Rocky.  I have missed a lot in the lives of my loved ones this year.  3 of my cousins have gotten married (I missed each of their weddings) and now one is having her first baby (congrats manda and tony!!).  So many friends have gotten married and had babies and it is so hard to miss these special occasions.  I cry when I look at pictures and realize that the babies in Vic Falls know me and I am more involved in their lives than the kids in my own family.  These are the hardest sacrfices by far.

I have been posting my blogs on Myspace for a while, but an old friend (I try to listen to the ones that have been around a long time) really pressured me into this... so here goes.  I will try to regularly update you on what is going on in my life here!

These days it is a lot of paperwork (for ROCK and for my work permit), a lot of cleaning and unpacking my new home )I am renting an adorable little house in Mkhosana, one of the high density areas of Vic Falls, and gardening... I am not a natural, this is a first for me!  I spend a lot of time with the kids and their mom's in my neighborhood and I am learning all of the things Zimbabwean mommies do well....this is harder work than I am used to!

Well, I need to get back out into the heat... I am walking to the post office to mail a letter to the coolest kid i know in California.  I will also check my mailbox, but I haven't had it long enough for mail to get here.... but if you want to send me a letter:

Regina Jones
PO BOX 85
Victoria Falls
Zimbabwe

More later!
R

4 comments:

Sarah Beth??? said...

Regina I'm so proud of you for starting a blog!! And it will be good cause I can come back and refer to it later if I need to remember what's going on with you. My short term memory has been fried in the 5 years I've worked for Wells. So I can't remember everything about what you've been doing, so that's why I need your blog!!! So yay for you!!! I'm excited about it!

Giggles said...

Hello there Regina,
I am looking forward to seeing you when you come back in November. You and the boy's are in my prayer's, I am so proud of you. I am glad that you have your own space, how is your garden doing? I will send you a letter, do u have a zipcode?
Hugs,
Wendy

Laura said...

Hi Gina,
I absolutely love the fact that you now have a blog! Now I can gert my Regina fix anytime I want and not just when you send updates!! :)
I am hoping that we can spend some time together while you are in MI, do know that you have a lot of people to see! I am so incredibly proud of you and keep you and the boys in my daily prayers!

I love you... Aunt Laura

one sparrow said...

Regina!
I love you and I love this whole blog thing. Woohoo! :) I miss you tremendously and I think it's time for you to write something else.
Hugs and love,
Jesika