Wednesday, February 26, 2020

What I'm Reading: Dr Wangari Maathai Plants a Forest

This new novel by Rebel Girls comes out this week. I am for sure a fan!

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to hear a beautifully moving story about an African woman who bravely impacted her community. My review follows.


Image from rebelgirls.co


"What good was it to be big like the elephant or powerful like the leopard if you weren't going to help when it mattered?"

This book about Dr. Wangari Maathai introduced me to the story of a woman who is a hero. I read this book hoping to learn about an interesting woman, what I read was a book that would inspire ANYONE  to make a difference in their world. Dr Maathai overcame obstacles, proved the naysayers wrong and has a legacy that has outlived her and will continue to make a difference. This book shows what real life can look like for a woman who bravely becomes an environmental activist and will undoubtedly inspire a generation all around the world.

This book was moving and engaging and I wouldn't change a single thing. I read it myself and then immediately snuggled up with my daughters and started reading it with them.

There is much to be learned from this book- not just about making a difference or caring for the world we live in, but about living our best life.

I am grateful this book has been written, this story has been told and most certainly for a chance to read it.  I would recommend this book for any primary school aged child. It should be in any classroom or library!

The publisher provided an ARC through Netgalley. I have voluntarily read this book for review, giving my honest personal opinions and thoughts

No comments: